Subject: [Leica] Received my Leicaflex SL...Updates??
From: Evan J Dong <ejdong@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:55:50 -0400

	Well I finally received my Leicaflex SL today.  The body is solid and
built like a tank as someone suggested! The overall condition of the body
and the 3 lenses were listed as an 9- by the shop. So far, without
putting any film through it, I noticed that everything works on it . The
body is a 9 condition, with some minor wear marks on the bottom plate
with 2 to 3 minor dings on the prism.  The lens release tab is made of
metal and the take up spool is made of plastic.
The viewfinder is very bright and I don't see any discoloration as stated
to me. The screen is the standard  circle with the micro prism ground
glass. It is very bright in dim lighting condition. There are some dirt
specks in the prism that I can't seem to blow out. I'll probably have DAG
do a CLA and whatever it needs to bring it up to specs.

	The 3 lenses, range from a 9- for the 50mm and a 9 for the 35mm and
90mm. All 3 lenses are the 2 cam version. The lenses were all clean and
the focusing barrel moves smoothly without any hang up. The only
distraction I found, was on the 35mm. There is either a  small minor
scratch in the lens OR it might be a rub mark on the coating. This is at
the outer edge near the barrel ring. Beside the minor problems that I
listed, I believe that the camera was described to me fairly. Now I have
14 days to decide if I want to keep the camera.  I will have the camera
check out tomorrow by Professional Camera Repair in NYC. After getting an
estimate, I will proceed to shoot a roll of Fuji Astia through it this
weekend and have it process. Then  I will hopefully have a decision by
then. The entire package of the body and the 3 lenses, (all with lens
hood and front/rear caps) will cost me $1200.  Is this a fair price or is
it on the high side?

The serial number range of the lenses were as stated in my earlier
posting, BUT now I have the entire numbers.
As for the body, the serial number is # 1195371. What would the vintage
of  the camera and the lenses be?

 The lenses are : 	1. 35mm F2.8	serial no# 2202550   Series 6 filters

		2. 50mmF2.0	serial no# 2242312   Series 6  filters

		3.90mmF2.8	serial no# 2170776   Series 7 filters

Could the plastic take up spool be replaced by a metal spool if it is
available? What can I do about the scratch or rub mark on the 35mm lens?
What were the updates that Leica did on the SL bodies and at what serial
number did these changes take place?

I would like to personally thank everyone that responded to my first
e-mail requesting information on the SL. Every information given was
valuable and was used to help me buy into the SL.

Evan
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.