Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ???
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:46:57 -0700

Pascal wrote:

> On 11-06-2000 21:43 Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> >Someone mentioned how this zoom replaces all those lenses including a Macro.
> >And of course they don't as the focal length primes involved are smaller,
> >lighter, faster and "sharper" and the macro is a flat field lens optimized
> >for close in use.
> >But people think so.
>
> How is that for sharpness, Mark?
>
> When focused correctly (goes without saying), the VE 35-70/2.8 ASPH
> performs at least as "good" as the primes it could replace, at identical
> f-stops.
> Erwin's more scientific tests have even proven that the zoom is actually
> *better* than these primes !

How about in a backlit or flair prone situation? A heck a lot of my shots are
done in those situations. The tend to be my best shots. How many shots do I do
with the sun in THEIR face? It's usually in mine.
But with ideal lighting I would expect a zoom to not be obvious and a picture
taken from it hard to tell from a shot taken with a prime lens. And how about
curvature of field at the widest angles?
Sure most of the good people are using zooms but I just got tired of them about
ten years ago way before even I moved away from slr's and Nikons.
Mark Rabiner