Subject: RE: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:25:49 -0400

Depends on your personal requirements!  The current Elmarit is reputedly
sharper wide open and at close focusing distances than the Tele-Elmarit.
The pre-ASPH Summicron, like the Tele-Elmarit, is reputedly less sharp wide
open than the current Elmarit, but of course the Summicron's "wide open" is
of a whole stop wider than either of the others.  The Tele-Elmarit, on the
other hand, is not only is much smaller than the current Elmarit, but also
weighs only about half as much (just 225 grams, I believe), and so is very
pocketable.  Do you need sharpness, speed, or pocketability?

The current Elmarit is undoubtedly a superb lens, but I see little benefit
to it over the Summicron.  The latter may be less sharp wide open, but at
least it does have an f/2.0 if you need it, and you can always stop down to
f/2.8 (equaling the Elmarit's maximum aperture) or smaller to gain
sharpness.  Also, since the current Elmarit is virtually as large and heavy
as the Summicron, it wouldn't save you much in those areas either.  So,
although any of these lenses would be excellent in its way, if I had to
choose only one, my choice would be between the Tele-Elmarit for size and
weight and the Summicron for its speed.  And if I could choose two lenses,
those two would be my choices for the same reasons.  But I would not have
both the current Elmarit and the Summicron, nor the current Elmarit and the
Tele-Elmarit.

Those are just my personal thoughts, but I hope they'll be of some help.

Art Peterson