Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ???
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:20:25 -0400

> On 12-06-2000 17:05 Steve LeHuray wrote:
>
>>So what if for reasons known only to him he invested in a modern SLR kit.
>
> Steve, why would an R8 not constitute what you call a "modern SLR kit"?
> It has all the features one could possibly need, except for AF, which is
> a deliberate choice and has nothing to do with "modernity".
>
>>I would guess that just about everybody in this group has a kit other than
>>Leica. I love my Leicas and they get used 90% of the time but for that other
>>10% the SLR kit comes in very handy.
>
> To the contrary, since I bought my Leica gear, all my Nikon kit has been
> sold off...
>
> Pascal
> NO ARCHIVE

Pascal,
I was responding to Bernard's post critical of B.D. for buying a "people's
camera". He mentioned no brand name. But I guess we all know that B.D.
recently bought a Nikon F100. And, I DO consider the R8 to be the basis for
a "modern" SLR system and the fact that it does not have AF bothers me
not-at-all. But I have a sizeable inventory of Nikon equipment (and my Leica
M inventory is catching up) which serves my SLR needs which are not as much
as they used to be. If I were starting from scratch building a new SLR
system I have no doubt that Leicas would be the leading contender.
Steve
Annapolis