Subject: Re: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:37:30 -0700

Bill

>>I have the 90/2.8 TE as well as the 90/2 non- asph. I was thinking about
selling the 2 and getting the latest 2.8 and keep the TE. Any thoughts on
what
I should do?<<

I just sold my 90/2.8 TE and 90/2 non-asph recently. I kept them for a time
after I purchased the newer 90/2.8 Elmarit. Two reasons. 1) I don't like
selling Leica gear and 2) I wanted to do some comparison shooting.

I have a standard "newspaper" test I use on all lenses. I didn't quantify
the results so this is subjective. But IMO the new 90/2.8 was significantly
better (contrast and resolution) than either of the other two lenses at
f2.8 and f4. The result was clear cut enough that I sold the older lenses
and I have no hint of regret.

As I said, I've owned and used many 90s and the latest Elmarit is my
favorite, hands down. Further, the filter size is the same as my 35/1.4
ASPH. I only need a single set of filters when I carry those two lenses.

BTW, just to show what the new 90/2.8 Elmarit can do, you might check out
the following site:
http://beta.content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=show_photo&ID_Community=Leicausers&ID_Topic=51&ID_Message

397
In the original you can read the smallest print on the tag in the third pot
from the left. You can hardly even see that there's print in the scan, but
you can read the phone number in the original slide with a good loupe. That
tag, and the tag in the right of the frame were both in the plane of focus.
The scan doesn't do the lens justice. It's one fine lens.

Dave