Subject: Re: [Leica] Positive vs. Negative
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2000 08:17:41 -0700

On Mon, 12 June 2000, "Joe Codispoti" wrote:

> I have been wondering lately why some photographers, Jim included, expose
> chromes instead of negative film when (publishing aside) the final result is
> a print.
>
> In 35mm, one has to decide whether to make internegs from slides or other
> processes in order to make prints, or make slides from negatives in order to
> project them.
>
> In medium, and especially in large format, projection is not the norm.
> Therefore, what is the advantage of using chromes and resorting to
> internegs, Ciba, or digital negatives to make prints when starting with a
> negative seems more logical including the latitude that if offers?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

There are several reasons I use slide film instead of print film:

1) Kodachrome's longevity.  In dark storage no other color film comes close.
2) I like to project the photos.  Slides from negatives are yukky.
3) the original shows me what the color balance is; I don't have to guess as I would with a negative.
4) using a digital process to make prints I can get excellent quailty from well-scanned slides, just as I could from a negative.
5) I don't have to store a bunch of crummy negatives just to keep the one on the strip that's any good, and I can see what it is I'm storing instead of having to refer to a contact sheet or proof print.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!