Subject: [Leica] WAS: bike theft now: anti theft device?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:01:42 -0700

Here's an idea for all you old time shooters who may still have one of
these strobes kicking around in the back shed.

Given we as photographers usually have a pile of gear in our vehicles,
I've often wondered if there was a unique anti theft device that could
be developed using the capacitors from old strobe power packs?

You young lads probably never had the experience nor exercise effects of
packing these heavy weight wet cell (that's batteries) strobes with
capacitors.  When you turned on the strobe the battery supplied the
power for the capacitor to build an electric charge in the neighborhood
of 50, 000 volts.  Which were inturn released at the time of exposure,
igniting the flash bulb.

Or some technical thing like that. :-)

However, we were always warned  "NEVER EVER PUT YOUR FINGERS INSIDE!"
Well of course old dim wit here did one day and found himself lying on
the other side of the room.
WHOA, WHAT A JOLT!   Jo momma, the flying photographer! :-)

Now imagine if you could harness that power to an anti-theft rig for
your car.  Bad guy messes with your wheels and....... "WHAM!  In his
face he's lying on the street!"  Hell of deal and he never knew what hit
him!  Still alive but really stunned!   Don't you love it? ;-)

Now all you electronic wizards out there go figure and make a million
$'s !  Just remember where you got the idea. ;-) As there are a couple
of Leica things I'd like to replace. ;-) Thanks.

ted

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: WAS: bike theft now: anti theft device?)
Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] WAS: bike theft now: anti theft device?)
Reply from Laurence Gadd <lgadd@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: bike theft now: anti theft device?)