Subject: [Leica] Photo Review
From: Christopher Hoover <hoovercd@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:33:26 -0700

Martin & Dan

I'm starting to develop a community web site for leica photographers which should launch sometime in July. I think it would be pretty easy to include a page where a photo is posted for review. Critique or other comments could be added below by visitors. For LUG members we could also offer a submission
form allowing them to submit comments directly to the LUG (ensuring a consistent subject line).

Another option would be to post a photo within a discussion forum; the comments could be follow-up messages. This would allow for simultaneous critique sessions (and would be more automated). In either case, it might be interesting to post the equipment or other details about the photo after a couple
weeks of critiques.

Let me know what you think, and certainly I'm open to other feature suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris Hoover
hoovercd@pacbell.net

Martin Howard and Dan Rodgers discussed:

drodgers@nextlink.com jotted down the following:

> I like your idea about submitting one photo a month for critique. It would
> be especially nice if we could somehow post them anonymously. For instance,
> have someone manage the site, but not have those viewing the site know what
> photographs belong to whom. Logistically, it would probably take too much
> effort to manage.

Not at all.  I could volunteer to keep a page up that has the photo of the
month to be critiqued posted on it.  People can then point their browser to
that URL (I'd post a message in the LUG when a new photo was put up there)
and write their comments to the LUG, perhaps using "Photo Critique:" as the
start of a subject line.

The tricky bit is the photos. I can see two scenarios:

  a) Lots of people submit pictures to be critiqued.  How do you select
     which one to put up?

  b) Very few people submit pictures to be critiqued.

Actually, (a) isn't much of a problem.  First come, first served.  I'd
simply keep the JPEGs on file and put them in in the order I receive them.

Hmm, this is actually beginning to sound like something that's taking form.
Is anyone interested in this?

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Photo Review)