Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica cameras and toy pictures
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2000 07:59:06 -0700

On Thu, 15 June 2000, Martin Howard wrote:

> I've been thinking about quality of cameras and quality of photography since
> Kyle posted his message about the Toy Camera people.  First off, I don't
> think that it's necessary to justify the purchase of a Leica anymore than
> the purchase of anything else.  We live in a consumer society.  If you want
> one, buy one.  If you don't, don't.  Who cares what pictures you take with
> it, or if it only sits on a shelf and collects admiring looks from jealous
> acquaintances?  Some people buy a $4000 camera rig to take close-ups of
> blooming flowers, a genre of pictures that bores the living daylights out of
> me, but I don't feel that I have the right to judge their expenditure of
> money.  Everyone has a different reason and arguing that one is more noble
> or worthy than another is like arguing that people with red hair make better
> citizens because they eat less peanut butter than fat kids:  It doesn't make
> sense.

<SNIP>

> I think that one of the most fundamental differences between good
> photography and bad photography (or indifferent photography, which may or
> may not be the same thing) is whether or not the photographer cared for the
> subject they were taking a picture of.

<more SNIPped>

> I don't know what the answer is (short of selling all your possessions and
> travelling the world taking pictures of people in plight to inform conceited
> Western audiences in an attempt to educate them of the reality outside the
> range of MasterCard, but that would mean having to drop the PhD studies and
> I wouldn't be able to get that six figure income job in California that I'm
> hoping for in a year's time) but my way of tackling it is to set myself
> photographic assignments.  Some get carried out, some don't, but it focusses
> my photographic efforts.  Caring for the subjects then follows as a
> secondary reaction as you are forced beyond the first five rolls to start
> looking at things properly and thinking about how you might portray them.
>
> So (and this is where we break from our previously formulated
> epistemological efforts), how do *you* deal with this?
>
> M.

Very few LUG posts have caused me to reach for the dictionary as much as this one has. <g>

Over-simplifying the question, it's "Why would any of us spend money on anything beyond basic nessesities like a used refrigerator box for shelter, a fig leaf for clothing and a couple of mouse traps for catching food?"

I justify spending money on Leicas the same way I justify spending money on a weather-tight house instead of a cardboard box, Goretex instead of coated nylon, and a balanced meal instead of a box of macaroni & cheese: it makes my life more enjoyable.  Nobody besides me knows what my priorities are, and criticism of my expenditures is a reflection of the critic's priorities.

I enjoy using Leicas, I like the photos I can make with the camera, and my use of such an expensive camera doesn't jeapoardize my family's health, safety or education.  No other justification is nessesary.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!