Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ted Grant wrote:
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:01:52 -0700

I think this in a sense reflect badly on poor ole Erwin Puts! He bench tests
Leica lenses, but I am quite sure, from looking at his site, or photos
attributed to him, that he has his head tightly screwed on, and his feet
firmly on the ground!
Comparing the bench test of ANY lens with the so-called real world results,
is like the car magazines tests of cars, and your daily driving.
Sure, they can go out, crank up a Porsche or Ferrari, turn her loose and see
what she'll do, and we can 'oooh' and 'aaaah" ( how does that translate into
Japanese?) but if we bought the darn things, we'd be hard put to get 'em
much over the speed limit before being hauled before the local constabulary
( You in a heap o' trouble, Boy!) and busted for various moving violations!
Sure, if you put your two extenders on the lens, set it on the optical bench
and actually tried to get a reading, the results would probably have the
technicians in Solms constipated and ill for several weeks- BUT, since the
lenses alone might outperform the very film you use, the results you got
were perfectly acceptable, and you might not have gotten them otherwise! I
daresay they probably were better that images shot even with a 800mm f8
catidioptric lens... and no 'donuts'!
I always marveled at the Questar, which was advertised as EXCEEDING
theoretical limits of resolution.... but since my vision is 20/200
uncorrected, the results would be lost on me.... I find very little
difference in looking at birds through my wife's Nikon binoculars, and my
friend's Leica binoculars- the Leitz IS brighter, but sometimes our own
limitations interfere with our appreciation of some things!
Dan ( 0-60 in my '87 Buick Wagon.... in 85 seconds, flat!) Post