Subject: Re: [Leica] f/8 and be there
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:09:27 -0400

So, Perry, I have a question.

How long does it take to load another sheet of film in a Speed
Graphic?  (How "speedy" is it?)

I always admired the old news photographers with those cool cameras.  Seems
like you either got the shot the first time, or it was gone.  Of course,
back then celebrities actually liked to get their picture taken "Just one
quick shot, Miss Harlow."  and they would stop and pose with a big smile.

And didn't they all wear fedoras with a card saying "Press" in the hat band?

It's enjoyable seeing the evolution of press cameras in newsreel
footage.  Seems from my casual observation that during the late 50's the
Speed Graphics were being replaced with TLR's (mostly Rolleis) in the
US.  Whereas, in old WWII footage from Germany those guys used Rolleiflexes
back then.

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] f/8 and be there)
Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (RE: [Leica] f/8 and be there)