Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom recommendation 3.5/35-70 (E60)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:17:43 -0700

Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de wrote:

> I don’t feel competent to confirm that my 3.5/35-70 (E60, designed and
> made by Minolta) has the “Leica look” or not., because my experience
> with non-Leica glas is limited and not exactly in the premier league*. But
> I would confirm that 3.5/35-70 slides don’t stick out, if mixed with
> “genuine” Leica prime lenses of the same vintage. Before I bought the lens,
> I asked for some advice from the LUG which was positive. Ted Grant for
> instance described his 3.5/35-70 (Solms made E67, I think) as his “work
> horse”.<<<<<<<<

Hi Hans-Peter,
I'd like to see a side by each comparison,  Minolta made Leica 35-70
with the German version I use,  as the German 35-70 gives me outstanding
image cutting results.  Even when slides from this lens come on the
screen mixed  with those from prime Leica lenses there doesn't appear to
be any difference.

Has anyone out there had experience with both lenses at the same time or
do they have slides from both they have compared or could compare?

As I'm off to photograph an Indian Pow Wow for a couple of days, I do so
without reservation of results from the 35-70.  I'll be using a mixture
of M & R lenses, which I've done on occasions in the past.   And to try
and be "unobtrusive" this time, I'm only working two R8's and one M6
instead of the usual three of each!  ;-)  It's not bad, as one R8 with
motor hangs on each shoulder the M around the neck, I'm going light so's
to speak. :-) Let you know if I see any particular differences from the
glass.  Film type? 99% 100VS, 1% 100 SW.

ted

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] R zoom recommendation 3.5/35-70 (E60))