Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: misloading with the rapidwinder
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:18:50 -0400

It sounds like some are tilting at windmills here.  My initial question was
simple, and some of the answers miss it completely.  The question was, has
anyone else had a problem following the manufacturers recommendations that
the basket was not necessary.

I believe most, if not all, understand what the basket does, that the
camera doesn't know what base plate is on it (I would hope that even a 4th
grader, and Al Gore, would understand that without too much effort), and
completely agree that it certainly can't hurt to use it.  No one is arguing
that point at all.  I believe to infer someone is 'foolish' for taking a
manufacturers advice is just plain rude.

In my initial post, I said though I disagreed with the recommendation of
the designer/manufacturer of the Rapidwinder, I followed his advice, and
having had a problem with that, I plan on putting the basket on after the
current roll is finished (if I can get it off the old base plate that
is...).

I think another question is, why does the designer/manufacturer of the
Rapidwinder suggest the basket isn't necessary?  I will email my concerns
to him, since he is really the only one who can answer that without
needless speculation.