Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: The camera doesn't lie!
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:01:09 GMT

The camera is perhaps the greatest liar ever invented by man!  Anything that
only captures a fraction of a second of the truth will, by its nature, tell
half truths at best and full out lies at worst.

Even if the intent of the photographer is pure, the interpretation by each
of us 5 billion viewers on earth means a different story is told to all.

Digital technology has not changed the frequency of photographic fabrication
so much as made it easier for the occasional dedicated fabricator.  It is
the NON dedicated, UNINTENTIONAL fabricator that we must be more wary of.
The misinterpretation of a "straight" photo is no different from the
"correct" interpretation of a falsified one.  The result is the same.

Perhaps literal and unerring truth is too high a standard to apply to
photography, or any other art form.

Best Wishes
Dan States
Madison Wisconsin