Subject: RE: [Leica] The camera doesn't lie!
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:58:16 -0700

The more pervasive point in Gib's post (for me, anyway) is the one about any
photo not telling the only truth.  It's a truism that photographers
manipulate "truth" all the time simply through the choices the make - about
what to shoot and what to ignore, or through picking the one shot out of the
series of frames that tells the story they want to tell.

Even such an admirable book as yours, Ted, is but a single version of
"truth".  In your book, doctors are all portrayed as dedicated, caring,
competent human beings.  You did not photograph incompetent, substandard
doctors who treat patients with a twist of the lip and an eye on their bank
balance.  You did not show jammed waiting rooms full of people each
desperate for their three minutes with such a doctor, or courtrooms full of
weeping, maimed victims during malpractice hearings.  But such an approach
would be just as "truthful" as the one you took - these things happen, and
can be photographed honestly and ethically, with a clear conscience.

The camera may not lie, but photographers either do lie all the time, or at
least assemble their own truths.

This discussion reminds me of the arguments in the Ottawa Camera Club over
whether digital prints should be allowed to compete in the same categories
as traditional wet prints.  What becomes ever more clear is that these
issues are like a great black and white print - the closer you look, the
more shades of gray you see.

Paul Chefurka