Subject: [Leica] Re: film washing tips
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:12:54 -0700

At 05:57 PM 6/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Another thing you may try is something called "pec" for Photographic
>Emulsion Cleaner.  It comes in a small spray bottle.
>
>Tom Schofield

The product is Pec-12 and works for cleaning dirt and fingerprints from
your film. Drying spots are usually calcium deposits, left when the water
evaporated. This is why my (as well as my colleagues) final rinse is always
distilled water.

Since I've been using distilled water in the darkroom (20 years) drying
spots are but a long lost memory.

The problem with calcium type deposits is that you need something that will
dissolve the residue. Years ago, before I figured out the advantages of
distilled water in the darkroom (all developers and the final rinse) I
remember removing spots by re-immersing and agitating the film in developer
for five or so minutes. Straight D76 as I had it in an accessible tank with
floating lid. Most developers contain solvents and seem to be able to clear
away drying spots. Since developer has a high pH, you can stick your
fingers in and gently massage the film to help clear away the problem.
Followed by a rinse, short fix to neutralize the developer residue, and a
good wash. Followed by as DISTILLED WATER wash. If you use fotoflo, mix it
with distilled water as well.

Well... that's about all this feeble old mind remembers today.

Jim

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] film washing tips)