Subject: RE: [Leica] Build Quality of Lenses
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:34:29 -0400

The "look" is the optical inferiority of lenses of that era.:-) They have
more flare, more fall-off at the edges, etc. etc. Call it Leica glow, call
it Coke Bottle Bottom, the bottom line is that it isn't something lens
designers were trying to achieve, it is simply the best they could achieve
given the tools they had.

One may like the "glow," but it doesn't make a lot of sense to tout it as
"superior" to the images produced by modern lenses.

I note that having gone from the Pre-asph 21 to the ASPH 21 for the M, while
I was thrilled with the pre-asph when I used it, the results I get with the
ASPH are far superior, in terms of edge-to-edge sharpness, lack of flare,
and lack of light fall off...

B. D.