Subject: Re: [Leica] The Longest Day of the Year!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:28:20 -0700

Tim Atherton wrote:

> Sunset here 11.39pm, sunrise 3.39am - and in between it doesn't actually get
> dark (the sun is only just below the horizon).
>
> Went out with my M6 the other night. Gotta love that nice evening light that
> last from about 8.30pm until 12.30am...<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tim,

Sure is great Leica light up that part of the world right now. My first
experience in the "Land of the Midnight Sun" was back in '57 and we were
sitting outside getting all the latest news from ... due south.......
like along way due south! :-)

I was doing an assignment in Resolute Bay for the National Film Board
and it seemed to me the sun never went below the horizon or it just
touched and then started to rise again.  I was shooting straight through
for a couple of days and never felt like sleeping because the sun was
always shining.  I did it during the first few days after I arrived and
never thought anything of until?  Bam in your face it's sleep time right
now and it didn't matter where you were.

It was quite funny,  as I was shooting in an eskimo's home and fell
asleep sitting there talking to him.   He shook me get and guided me
back to my hut and the last thing I said to him was, " I can't sleep the
sun's still shining!!!" Went in fell on the bed for 18 hours of sound
asleep! And when I awoke.   The damn sun was still shining! :-)

The first time witnessing that all night sunlight gives one a strange
kind of feeling of how insignificant we are as mere mortals watching the
world turn and never going into darkness..

ted