Subject: [Leica] Re:Sally Mann, digest V17 #195
From: Matthew Phillips <mlphilli@hsc.vcu.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:28:36 -0400

>Sally Mann, in here latest landscape work has managed to capture an almost
>Matthew Brady/Civil War type look by using old lenses she has collected, as
>well as playing with development and printing (some she shot on Ortho film,
>which give a different feel again).

While I'm no fan of Sally's prima donna persona, and find her family
portraits to be theatrical contrivances (albeit exquisitely printed... by
someone else), her recent southern landscape series are sublimely
beautiful. The one's she'd recently shown at the Reynold's Gallery in
Richmond, Virginia were made with an archaic 'wet-plate' process. The
process is tedious and dangerous (very toxic), requiring that the negative
plate be exposed while still wet with freshly applied emulsion. In the Mann
landscapes you can see the surge marks of the emulsion sliding down the
plate during exposure. Exposures are a hit-or-miss guess due to the speed
variability of the chemical soup, but at best require very long exposures.
While the high contrast tonality of Sally's landscapes are not neccesarily
inherent to the wet-plate process, she uses it to her pictorial advantage.
What is remarkable about these images is the degree of atmosphere and a
'sense of place' that is retained with very little apparent detail. If you
think of these images as romantic, then its comes from the premise that
romance is about careful editing.

Regards,
M.Phillips