Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ??? commercial point of view !!!
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:44:57 -0400

Pascal jotted down the following:

>> Was the 2.8/35-70 intended as a prestige project, irrespective of cost
>> and market potential?
>
> ...even if there is little or no profit
> derived from the sale of this lens, Leica simply had to come up with such
> medium zoom lens in order to complete its R lens line. Some potential
> buyers might be put off from actually buying into an R system if they
> need this type of lens and it were not available.

Well, if they only make 300 items of this lens, then for all intents and
purposes, it's GOING to be unavailable, isn't it?  Regardless of whether it
happens to be in a catalogue or not.

>> Will Leica keep tools, surplus materials and CAM data files for a
>> second run to justify start-up costs?
>
> I would think so, and I am sure Leica will use some of these for another
> R zoom like a 17-35/2.8 ASPH (just speculating on that last one).

Given the size of front elements on Leica lenses compared to many other
manufacturers, if Leica were to make a 17-35mm zoom (which would probably
end up being a 19-35 instead) it'll probably take 122mm filters.

Oh yes, I forgot: we can't have standard filter sizes, can we?  Make that
E 124 filters instead.  Special order, B&W thin-ring, three-times-the-price-
of-anything-else E 124 filters.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Jesus loves you.  Everyone else
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | thinks you're an asshole, but
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | Jesus loves you."   -- Bumper sticker