Subject: [Leica] The PLUG Does Gay Pride--A Further Narrative
From: "Jim Shulman" <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:41:45 -0400

You had to be there....

The parade gave me the opportunity to try out my recently-cleaned Summaron
35/3.5 E39 and new Voigtlander 35 finder on my iiic.  I also used my
newly-acquired Voiglander VC meter.  Anyone here have any luck finding the A
size double-shoe for converting SM Leicas to a double-shoe camera?

Usually, a parade means standing by the sidelines with a telephoto, trying
to get shots of something interesting.  I prefered to march with a group
that would provide lots of great shots, as well as entertainment.  So, I
found an assemblage called the Hartford Harlettes, a cheerleading squad from
Connecticut who were campainging against estrogen deprivation.  Later my
partner and I marched with Hillary Clinton, who was quite pleasant but
didn't have great hair like the Harlettes.

I approached the Harlettes and said, "Hello!  I'm from the Leica Users
Group.  Since we're both bottom-loading, may I march with your happy
throng?"  They agreed wholeheartedly, and off we went.

Favorite photo opportunities were the bareassed fellow changing into his
Titania getup in the middle of 5th Avenue and 56th Street.  Another was a
group of gay Wiccans in the midst of a revival service at 54th street.  Lots
of shots of Harlettes in mid-cheer.  I'll have the Ektachrome 100SW sides
back in a day or so.  Since so many of them are tasteless and offensive to
general middle-class mores, perhaps Kyle will help me most them to a web
page for general viewing.

Met up with Doug Cooper at Tea and Sympathy, where we discussed Leica lore
over bangers and mash.  My boyfriend was bored to death (and let us know
with a yawn that sounded like an MGM film's beginning.  Is this universal
among Leica spouses?) I sort of hoped that as we left, Deborah Kerr would
say, "Years from now, when you talk about this--and you will--please be
kind."

Outside the restaurant we met up with with Bern Delgado and his girlfriend,
Agnes, fashionably bedecked in M3s, Kyle and his dermatology-special M3,
Doug as mentioned, and another fellow (my mind now is a sun-fried blank)
with a IIIf RD and Summitar.  Surrounding us were some rather remarkably
dressed folks, making the Leica Group the true standouts in the Village.

Jim