Subject: Re: [Leica] DIY Rangefinder adjustments
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:10:10 -0400

Back when I owned an M4 it seems I was required to make rangefinder
alignment adjustments fairly frequently.  I have since read that the M4 was
purposely built that way, the argument being that the proliferation of Leica
dealers and repair persons back then made periodic...annual, for
instance..."tweaking" feasible.

At any rate, many years ago my local Leica dealer / repairman taught me how
to adjust the rangefinder coincidence at infinity...but I don't remember the
procedure.  I'd like to do the same with my M3 since it's slightly out of
whack (the rangefinder travels past infinity very slightly), but don't wish
to make matters worse by "fiddling".   For that matter, I might be
overreacting.  The misalignment at infinity may be so small as to make
focusing errors imperceptible anyway (I've never had any experience with the
incredibly large and precise M3 viewfinder image).

Any advice?

If rangefinder alignment on the older M-series cameras is user-friendly, how
is it done?

Many thanks,

Craig
Boston