Subject: [Leica] Hexar RF focussing problems
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:17:24 -0500

Raimo wrote:

"BTW the PP stated that the Hexar is fully compatible with Leica lenses and
that the rangefinder works perfectly."

I beg to differ on that full compatibility.

I noticed that my new RF showed a bit of the 50mm framelines when a Leica 35mm was
mounted, and that parallax compensation (the diagonal movement of the framelines) did
not extend all the way down to .7 metres with Leica lenses. So I called Konica Canada
and explained the problem. Their technician (a German!) said: "It's because you've
mounted non-Konica lenses that the camera has not been designed to handle." (He would
not say the word Leica in the entire conversation). When I pointed out that the
camera has 35mm framelines but there's no Konica 35mm lens yet, and it seemed like
the Kompany  adopted the M mount precisely because people could use M lenses, he
disagreed. He repeated that the camera is not meant to be 100% compatible with other
brands' lenses.

I do find Konica's attitude a bit upstart, but I do like the camera anyway for other
reasons.

They have the camera now, but have not promised to make it work with Leica lenses.
Tune in next week for the next episode.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal