Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:52:27 EDT

Rob, I wasn't talking about a business plan, or money in any sense. I  doubt
that very many documentary photograpers or photojournalists are motivated by
money.  I understand from people who know him that Mr. Nachtwey is usually
broke. But they are motivated by ego. Since I started this thread I went back
and looked at the work of the war photographers I most admire, with Don
McCullin at the top of the list. That review confirmed my feelings that
Nachtwey is probably the least "humanistic" or caring photographer of the
lot. His work seems cold, objective in a negative way, and superior to his
subjects.  As someone else on the LUG put it, it's a "glorification of gore."
  As I said, I don't trust the pictures or his rap, but that's just MHO. By
the way, do you see Ferraris going by all day long? Arthur

Replies: Reply from "Julian Thomas" <mimesis@btinternet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey)