Subject: Re: [Leica] black M6 top plates bubbling like crazy
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:40:23 -0400

> You seem to imply that the bubbling started after you visited the sulphur
> mine. No thin plating is going to seal against highly corrosive substances.
> Leica is right in that every time you expose the camera to high humidity,
> and possible airborne salinity, it seeps into the bubbling areas and
> reactivates the corrosion. After all, sulphur, salt and water is a great way
> to make sulphuric acid. Possibly wiping the camera down with a damp cloth
> after the exposure in the mine could have prevented the problem in the first
> place. The M6 top plate is made of a zinc composite material that is,
> unfortunately, highly susceptible to acid corrosion. You can either change
> the top plate, leave it alone as a wonder of the camera world or break open
> the bubbles and apply a neutralising agent such as what a body shops uses on
> rust.
>
> John Collier
>
>> From: brice777@yahoo.com
>>
>> I have two black M6's and both top plates are corroding as manifested by
>> tiny bubbles popping up (although not bursting) all over the place.
>>
>> Is it ironic that it gets worse every time i visit a tropical country?
>> Additionally, on the trips I've made, I've visited a sulfur mine, where
>> there was a tremendous amount of exposure to volcanic sulfur fumes... is
>> this a possible culpurit?
>>
>> Any ideas what might be causing this? Any ideas how to stop the bubbling?
>>
>> Leica USA was stumped and blamed the humidity....

I have found that wiping down the top/bottom plates on my M's periodically
with lighter fluid removes any contaminates including the invisible acid
from fingers. Just apply a small amount on some old underwear. Also it
leaves a protective cover over the chrome or black paint and gives the
camera a nice, new shiny look. If you do this every once in awhile bubbling
is not likely to ever occur.

Steve
Annapolis

Replies: Reply from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] black M6 top plates bubbling like crazy)