Subject: [Leica] Re : Nachtwey's Capas, >> >Salgados, Evans, etc
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:14:26 PDT

I was just going to let this whole thread pass on, but.....
I was looking at photo books at the bookstore the other day. There are a lot
of anthologies and collections out right now--things on the 20th Century,
news collections, and such. It was really depressing (and, what the heck,
demeaning of humanity) to see most of them filled with Nachtwey, Capa,
Salgado, Evans, etc. If you could see only those books you'd think the whole
of the human experience was about wars, starvation, death--a very tiny part
of the general human picture, and something which, for instance, has
absolutely nothing to do with my life or that of anyone I know or have ever
known.

If that's the only photos worth remembering in the long term history of
mankind, then I say the quicker we pop a bomb and destroy the whole mess of
shit the better for everything on this planet. They may be memorable
pictures, but they _sell_ in magazines because they appeal to the morbid,
sensationalistic, voyeur instinct that makes the National Enquirer
attractive and makes us slow down at car wrecks. The photographers may
indeed be great photographers, and I admit they are, but the pictures are
bought not because they're great, but because of their appeal to lower
instincts of the average magazine reader, not to the very limited market of
appreciators of photography.

- --Michael Darnton

ORIGINAL MESSAGES:::