Subject: [Leica] Re: Breathless
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:25:19 +1200

At 1:28 PM -0700 27/6/2000, Arthur wrote:

>That explains the jump cuts!  They''ve  been touted as a great cinematic
>invention of Goddard's, but now we can see it a technical glitch created by
>those strips of film strung together.

Hi Arthur,

It's quite possible. He's said many things over the years about them.
One of the things he was fond of saying in interviews about the ones
in A Bout de Souffle was that they came about through editing the
film down to a reasonable length. But he's also fond of making his
readers and viewers come to their own conclusions, and purposely
pissing off his interviewers by giving them all different answers to
the same questions he keeps getting asked.

Good on him, but he could help my job a little more :-)

Gary
- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University