Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:17:47 -0700

Opticians recommend wiping lenses with a "soft cotton cloth".
As for breath, it works just fine for dust but will not remove oily residue.
This can be verifies by the concentric multicolor streaks left on a lens
that has not been cleaned for a long time.

I like the silk-like microfiber cloth because while it lifts fine particles
of dust it does not clog with debries thus risking damage to the glass with
subsequent wiping. Also it can be hand washed and air dryed in minutes.
The same goes for a chamois in wiping a car. Its pourous structure retains
particles therefore the car must me absolutely clean if it is to be dryed
with it.

I am sure that Ted knows what he is talking about. However, for the minimal
expense of 4 square inches of microfiber cloth and a good cleaner, it is not
worth walking around "sans culottes".

Joe