Subject: Re:[Leica] Neg film recommendations please
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:17:27 -0400

At 04:14 PM 6/29/00 -0700, Rick Dykstra wrote:
>Need your thoughts on neg films.
<snip>

>So, do you have a favorite 400 speed neg film, for an application like
>this.  Has anyone used Royal Gold 400?

(this is probably late getting to you...such is the nature of digest
I had been a long time happy NPH user, but since trying the new Kodak
Portra 800, I've given up on the 400 entirely. I had tried the Portra 400
back when it first came out and I hated both the NC and VC. I find it made
almost every subject look like they had a rash. The NPH gives good colours
and tones but I find that the added stop is very helpful with the Portra
800 and the grain is the best I've ever seen in a high speed film. (My
clients also RARELY enlarge greater than 8X12 and up to there, one is hard
pressed to identify any significant difference between Portra 800 from
Portra 160.)

With a bright day and ISO 800 you'll have plenty of DOF to get the entire
group in focus. With your R8's 1/8000 shutter capability you shouldn't even
need the combo of an ND and Polarizer that I need on my XE-7 to compress my
DOF at wide to normal focal length with the Portra 800.

The only problem is, I don't know if it's available in Oz yet. I've been
ordering it directly from Kodak online until last week when my local shops
began carrying it.

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com