Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V17 #216
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:33:58 +0100

Tim Meneely <meneely@crosswinds.net> asked:

>Can I use a Zeiss-based universal finder on the IIIc? I realize the
true Zeiss finder (which I have, sigh) will cover my shutter speed
dial, but I have the opportunity to trade it for a better-condition
Russian version which would seem to work, unless there's some parallax
or alignment or shoe problem I'm not considering.

Yes you can use the Zeiss finder on the IIIc - I even use mine on my
M2 and M6. And no, don’t trade it for the Russian version. The two
samples of the Russian finder which I tried both have very inaccurate
wide-angle fields. There is obviously a quality-control problem here,
so before making a decision, check the Russian finder carefully
against the Zeiss one to see how accurate its fields are.

(BTW, the price of a Zeiss turret finder is almost three times that of
the Russian finder, so it’s hardly a fair trade!)

One nice feature of the Russian design (apart from the fact that it
doesn’t cover the speed dial) is that while the Zeiss original shows
only what the camera will see, the Russian version shows a larger
field within which the frame is marked, so you get a Leica-M-style
view of the surroundings of your picture. However, on the Russian
finder which I still have, the image is slightly larger that that of
the Zeiss finder, so as a spectacle wearer I have to do a little
side-to-side eyeball shuffling to see the entire field.

Regards,

Doug Richardson