Subject: Re: [Leica] Practical Photography review
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:50:02 -0600

As I was out and about with my little JD and my curiosity piqued, I made a
magazine stop and picked up a copy of the PP in question and also some
Thomas the Tank Engine books for the little gaffer. On the whole the Thomas
books were a far better investment. The "review" is a charmingly humorous
piece that was obviously misprinted as fact. I mean can you really take
seriously a reviewer that incorrectly focuses a 28/2.8 lens set to an
aperture of f8? I also was rolling on the floor at the complete lack of
reference to wide open performance! I can just imagine the tester waxing
eloquent about the performance of the Noctilux at f8! The rangefinder
comments were equally stupendous. The tester not noticing that he had
forgotten to switch the finder frames after changing lenses on the Bessa R
not once but several times. The Hexar finder is indeed slightly dimmer than
the Leica's finder but not to the extent that our intrepid writer once again
completely bungles focusing the 90/2.8 at f8. Alas the only real test this
magazine covered I failed, unfortunately being of sufficiently low
intelligence to actually pay for the darn thing.

John Collier