Subject: [Leica] Salgado in Paris
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 20:19:51 +0100

I have just seen the great Salgado show 'Exodus' which occupies the whole of
the House of European Photography in Paris.   What a great show!   Normally
shows only occupy one or two galleries, but this takes up the whole building
including rooms I have never been to before.   There is also an audio-visual
presentation of images which did not make it to the show.

The sad thing is that you wander around thinking that they are really great
images, and are beautifully printed, you admire Salgados skill with the
Leica and then you suddenly realise what they are images of.   Not that he
has tried to hide their content, but more that you are seduced by the
'beauty' of the horror!   I ended up almost in tears that man could do these
things to his fellow man.   After the atrocities of the Holocaust, to see
the horror of the wars in Rwanda - have we learnt nothing?

A great show, but not for the faint-hearted.

Gerry