Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA M6 Question/Complaint
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 06:03:04 -0400

I think you're right, Martin.  But it sure worked out badly for those of
us in this predicament.  I don't think there were evil intents to punish
the new members for ordering a camera.  I do think, however, that it
would be a nice goodwill gesture on the part of LHSA to remit the first
year's dues for us.  Perhaps they could get Leica to pay them for the
loss.  I understand, after all, that Leica is paying for membership
coupons for the cameras bought from dealers.

Independent dealer sales also siphon off buyers from LHSA, and thus the
profit for the organization. (Is this correct, or is LHSA getting a cut
of dealer sales too?  If so, more reason to remit first year dues for
new members who bought direct.)

And of course, they increase the total issue number having the effect of
lowering future collectible value for all purchasers.

We're only talking about $45 for the membership here (plus float on the
purchase price for x months).  It's not the money, it's the principle.

[Did I just say that?  Whenever I hear such drivel I think of John's
Law, first postulated in 1995, which states: "Whenever anyone says 'It's
not the money, it's the principle of the thing,' it's the money."  The