Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 and 50 'cron = great slides
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2000 08:20:35 -0700

On Fri, 07 July 2000, "Hugh Thompson" wrote:

<SNIP>

I am enjoying the combination of M3 and 'cron.  I can see however, how people can easily get frustrated with a fully manual camera, there are so many things to do, so much that can go wrong!
<<<

IMHO there's much more that had to be done with an auto-magic-plastic battery-eater!  Set exposure mode, AF mode, AF range limit, exposure compensation, film advance mode, AF spot, custom functions... yecch!  With a manual camera it's shutter speed, aperture, focus.  BTW it's funny how in marketing jargon a "manual" camera has come to mean auto-exposure without auto-focus.

Last week I shot my first roll of slide film. I was completely amazed by the quality of the image, I am sold!
 Until I can afford to get a slide projector, is there an inexpensive way of viewing slides.  I have heard about a small, battery operated, personal viewer - are there any preferences?
<<<

I use a Pana-Vue 2 made by View-master.  It's cheap, and you won't see everything the 'cron delivers but I can look at my slides.  Used slide projectors are not expensive.  I use an almost-white wall as a screen.

Am I correct, with slides the meter should be set to give a half stop under exposure, is this so?
<<<

Depends on the film you use, and what you want to do.  Certainly with Kodachromes you don't want to overexpose, or you'll lose the highlights, so with this film it's better to err on the side of underexposure.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!