Subject: [Leica] Leica-general
From: "tm" <leicar8@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 09:06:44 -0700

Who let the nuts out of the asylum? I both encountered and read about
dimwits who tried and are attempting to prevent picture shooting on grossly
absurd bases recently:

1) I went to the opening of the new subway in L.A. recently with my M6 and
21 mm ASPH and a male Metropolitan Transit Authority rep rushed up to me and
insisted I stop taking photos. I asked why and he said, "This is private
property and no picture taking is allowed". I corrected him by stating
"federal (our tax) dollars paid for this system and, therefore, public
access and photo taking are assured privileges". He said, "No, we built
this, this is our property, and we have the right to state what can and
cannot take place on our property.  Photo shooting is not allowed". I told
him to get lost. Then I saw him approach a photographer from a local
newspaper and overhead him telling her the same crap. Dimwit!

2) "Laws before the French Parliament dictate that photographers could not
take pictures of criminal suspects wearing handcuffs, or of crime scenes
where a victim's dignity is jeopardised. The measures form part of a broader
bill to boost the rights of criminal suspects and victims of crime..."

These manifestations of suppression are tacky and are probably not the last
we will see arise, and I'm certainly not eager to see what occurs next. What
an absurd era we live in!

Terry