Subject: Re: [Leica] Filter designations
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 10:20:25 -0700

My tests show that a tiffen 60-62 step up works fine with the Noctilux.  No
step downs work.  Even the E60 C-Pol from Leica vignettes with it because of
the thickness of that filter.  That lens is the first Leica lens I have used
that has a problem with moderate step-downs.  I have even stepped down to
49mm on the 100 APO, 60, and 35mm R, without vignetting. The 35mm going from
55-49 was a pleasant surprise, but look at how small the front element is
and you'll see why it works.  The last 28mm R with 48mm (Ser. VII) does not
work well with a 48-49 step up but a 48mm-55mm works fine.

Some people have expressed the myth that with the Noctilux if you stop down
the filter does not vignette because "you are only using the inside part of
the lens."  Not true, the entire lens surface affects pictures at all
apertures.  In fact, vignetting from filters always worsens when stopping
down because of the increasing DOF -- the black triangles in the corners get
darker and more defined.  To check for vignetting with a reflex camera
always check stopped down.

Tom