Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital M body
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 11:30:21 -0400

> Despite siliconfilm (-formerly imagek-) being thus far vapor-hardware, my
> initial post was that I would rather see a digital solution for the
> camera's that I already carry, than to have to carry yet another body
with
> me if I wanted to capture digital images from the snap of a shutter.

Yes, I completely agree.  I would really like one for my Hasselblads
too...even though the resolution would be low for one that is around $1k,
it would still be better than a Polaroid!

> IF
> such a solution cost much more than a Fujileica Digilux, I would as soon
> get one of those as a toy.

I just bought a Fuji FinePix 4700, and I am exceptionally pleased.  If you
want to know more about it (it is the same size as the DigiLux), please
email me off list.

> I completely agree with Mark that a good scanner is the best
> way to go when you want a digital image of any quality at the
technology's
> current point of development.

I agree too.  That is actually why I bought my Leica M in the first place.
 For the expressed purpose of scanning at 4000 DPI w/ a Polaroid SprintScan
4000.  I am not happy with the current resolution/image quality of the sub
$10k or so digital cameras, though, for what it is, the FinePix 4700 is
exceptional.  But in no way does it replace my M6/lenses and 4000DPI
scanner.

In fact, I am so happy with my M, I am even considering an R...  but then I
would have to buy yet another whole set of lenses....