Subject: Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:07:55 -0700

Gib Robinson wrote:

> Has anyone seen, handled, bought and/or used a 280mm f/2.8. If so, how is it
> . . . besides big?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Gib,
It's not that big! but it isn't an apo 100 macro either.  It's a first
class superb lens and I've used one "hand held, usually with a shoulder
stock and motor with micro switch"  since I got it in 84.  Marvelous
piece of glass.  The later version is better due to a "filter drawer in
the neck of the lens just before it locks on the camera,

It's an even greater piece of glass when you use it with the apo 1.4
extender and turn it into a 400 f4.0. Then add the 2X to that and you
have a hand holdable f8.0 800! :-)  Leica of course will give you their
standard line, "We don't recommend that!"  BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Just do
it and you'll end up with slides and negatives more than adequate for
publication or slide projecting. And most certainly with images you'd
not have otherwise

If you do use the 1.4 or 2X individually, you have absolutely no idea
the lens is being used with an extender, even wide open! If you consider
a 280 mm with a 1.4, it's a 400 mm f4.0 lens. Use the 2X and you  have a
560 f5.6.  The piece of cake is to use a macro adapter with it and now
you have three more different lenses!

Or to top  it off?  Use the macro adapter, 1.4 plus 2X at the same time
and you sort of have an 800 mm super macro!;-)

Great lens if you have the opportunity to get your hands on one get it!

ted