Subject: Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:27:08 -0700

> > Back when I was shooting Nikon gear I rented a 280 2.8 and shot some
> > test chrome films with both the Nikon and Leica lens.  the test
> > images were of my then wife with our dog.  The dog had black fur.
On
> > the Nikon the fur was black, no detail.   On the Leica there was
> > detail in the fur.  Adding the teleconverter did not degrade the
> > image any that I could discern.
>
> Wow, that IS saying a lot.  Many consider the 300/2.8 to be one of the
very
> best Nikkors (along with the 180/2.8).

The venerable 300/2.8 lenses, now a common sight at sports scenes have
come a long way since the first Topcon in the sixties, and the first
Nikkor in 1972.  The current Nikon model, the AF-S 300mm 1:2.8D model,
is said to be diffraction limited at wide open, and image degrades
thereon.

The phenomenon described above can be explained in two ways:

Nikon lens had low contrast at fine resolution, rendering the detail
unrecorded.
Leica lens had a overall veiling flare which brought the level of
illumination above the minimum recording capability of the film.
(similar effect as preexposure)

While Leica lenses are fine (and I have 4 of them), and I am sure this
is no exception, but further test would be required to prove its
outright superiority.  Perhaps a shot with a golden retriever may have
shown more subtle differences.

At least you weren't photographing your wife with a black cat.

Replies: Reply from Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net> (Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8)