Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax to the rescue!
From: Guy Bennett <guy.bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:07:06 -0700 (PDT)

>During a trade show in Paris last month the shutter of my IIIg
>‘digested’ a manually-trimmed film leader
>[snip]
>Four Leica failures in five consecutive assignments is getting a bit
>embarrassing (three years ago I could boast that I used Leicas for
>work because they were utterly reliable and had never let me down). To
>be fair, the basic problem is that all my ‘fleet’ (except the IIIg)
>were long overdue for CLA, but on the other hand a colleague shoots
>with an ancient Pentax which he has owned for decades and never had
>serviced.
>[snip]
>
>Doug Richardson

doug,

i don't mean to sound snide, but the iiig is a nearly 40-year-old camera
and thus it doesn't seem all that surprising that it might 'fail' during a
shoot. i can't comment on the other leica failures you experienced, but if
they too were screw mount cameras (and overdue for an overhaul, as you
say), that doesn't surprise me either. what i do find surprising is that a
professional photographer would be using such old cameras for assignments.

guy

p.s. and i'm not against screw mount cameras - i own and use a iiif all the
time - and i love shooting with that camera - but i use it along with an m6
and current lenses. (i should add that i'm not a professional, and just
take pictures for pleasure.)