Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Digital
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:57:47 -0700

Brougham wrote:
><Snip>
> What kind of manipulations are you doing? ><Snip>
Many of us into Leica stuff here are making a serious commitment to our
photography and to many of us this involves a controlled output. We talk about
enlargers here, Leica especially and all kinds of darkroom stuff optical as well
as chemical.
There is no Leica Red Dot Dektol but what the heck!
And now we find ourselves pioneers in this whole digital thing...
Just in the short few years I've been on this list.
Like in the 1860s when everyone when to the Pharmacist or Druggist or Chemist to
get set up making Daguerrotypes or wet plates...
now we are all figuring out on the internet what the heck scanners and printers
and software is coming out and how to use them.

The whole approach to processing a scanned image can be at first not that different.
contrast and density are adjusted.
But then "spotting" quickly becomes "retouching" as that clone tool can take a
dust glop off as easily as ad a third eye in the middle of your subjects forehead.
Unsharp mask is part of the scanning process. Prosumers scanners seem to all
need it. I hear a scan in Kodak Photo CD format needs it.
But this can be done selectively.
As can the softening effect you get from the "dust and scratches" filter.
In effect you can dial in your own bokeh.
The power of selectivity: selections makes digital processing a whole different
ballgame than wet work.
Not just a digital metaphor.
Once you learn to effectively select a foreground (the subject) from a
background each and be adjusted differently as far as:
density
contrast
sharpness (unsharp mask and the sharpening tool)
softness (dust and scratches and the blur and blend tools, Gaussian blur)
Color saturation (that tool)
What else? Plenty of other things I'm sure.
Mark Rabiner
So far I seem to be guilty of adding some lens flare to the backgrounds of some
studio shots to help "improve" things.
You can loose your objectivity and have your friends catch you at it and say
"You sure *&^%$ed with this picture didn't you Mark?!"