Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures of the birth of our daughter
From: "CIS" <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:24:27 +0100

Michael

Thank you for your comments.  I fully understand that most people on the LUG
want to look at images that can be regarded as art, as opposed to the family
snaps of an amateur, and I think most people know to avoid links to my
images if they want art.  However, I do think that the interaction of the
family and the photographing of life events within the family can be
interesting as they evoke memories that many of us have.  I could take lots
of video of my children growing up but I feel that the black and white
images will have a timeless quality and evoke stronger feelings and memories
than video films.  I also believe that the quality of the Leica lenses add
to the quality of the images.  The shallowness of the depth of field at f/1
in the image of my wife holding the baby (the first 'Mummy holding Daisy'
image on page 2) is just enough to get the baby's head in focus and
everyting else out of focus, but also enough to see the way that my wife is
looking at our new daughter.  Daisy is definitely the focus of love and
attention in more ways than one.  The same applies to the first image on
page 2 of Daisy sleeping.  She looks isolated and vulnerable, a mood
captured because of the shalowness of the Noctilux at f/1.

These may not be art, but the lens has added meaning, substance and context
to what would otherwise be simple family snaps.  I do not believe any other
medium would produce that effect.  I am glad you liked the pictures.

Regards.

Simon

Amateur images at http://www.sclamb.com