Subject: Re: [Leica] 28/2.8 or 35/2??
From: ralph fuerbringer <rof@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:35:06 -0400

 which is the better performer with groups,scenery? you dont specifify your
main uses for the lens. for example in a group photo someone near the edge
of the frame with the 28 will be eliptisized more because the lens renders
the individual less straight on in 2-dimensions.  optically it has to be
pointed out the current 35 ash is a true wide angle lens of classic
construction that leitz has been tinkering with for decades. there were
eight elements, then 6, then 7 maybe twice and now the asherical.  the
construction of the 28 is on the other hand is somewhat
 retrofocus . this use advanced  technology from an inverted telephoto. this
too has been highly developed and involved upgrades so quality wise in
actual photography there is negligible difference. from my experience with
the technogies involved and without having these newest variations to test,
i would expect the 28 wide open might have a hair better coverage at the
edges with the 35 having  better micro-contrast with its classical
construction and aspherical glass. they'll tinker some more with other
lenses but not with the 35 ash. to do so from the comments i have read
would be at the risk of their lives. the nice part of your quandry: you will
be happy with either one.