Subject: [Leica] V35 bulb replacement
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:47:32 +0100

Folks, esp. UK folks,

Just as I was about to compare the (newish) Apo-Companon with my Focotar on
some juicy large blow ups, I had a blow out and the enlarger's bulb went
'for a burton'. The story that unfolds explains the problems of acquiring a
new one to suit.

There being no proper Leica dealer locally, I called the largest camera
store in Manchester (Jessops World Camera Centre), possibly the largest
camera store in the UK and spent 20 minutes talking to three assistants,
each slightly more informed than the previous but none of them capable of
telling me that they had the bulb I needed, a Philips 12v 75w 13139. They
offered an Osram bulb, stating that they dont stock Philips, suggesting it
because it was 'the most popular' they sell. This beggared belief!

I called Leica in Milton Keynes only to find that I couldn't speak to Spare
Parts but the accountant in Finance did his best to help! I was promised a
call back which may happen tomorrow.

Later I visited a nearer Jessops and looked at this Osram suggestion in the
wake of their having any 13139 bulbs to offer, it was indeed the bulb I
suspected that I had read warnings about. The curvature of the reflector is
different and also the hieght is slightly smaller, it would still fit and
give a result but the illumination is far from perfect with it, so I left
it naturally.

And finally I visited a small independant light bulb/fitting shop in my
town and arrived 5 minutes after he closed. He was over the road talking to
another shopkeeper and asked if he could help. He then went to on to open
his shop, tell me that GE made an identical bulb, checked his stock,
offered me a 55w version if I wanted, rang his stockist and ordered two 75w
bulbs for me. Checked the order with his comprehensive set of sales
booklets and rang his stockist back to confirm the delivery date in two
days time. I was bowled over by the difference in attitude.

The moral seems to be don't visit Jessops for a replacement V35 bulb. Find
a knowledgable light shop.

Jem