Subject: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:00:32 -0700

At 09:42 PM 7/12/00 -0400, Vick Ko wrote:
>Does anyone out there shoot with a Leitz UV filter on the 21mm ASPH lens?

Good grief no!

>I'm from the school of "scratched or dirty filter is cheaper than
>scratched or dirty front element".
>
>TIA
>Vick

Your school is about 40 years out of date!!!

Doesn't anybody understand the simple part of the optical physics of
light/glass/lens design?

I mean the obvious, hit you in the face, pretty hard to ignore, potential
problems with the use of ANY filter.

And you are thinking of sticking one on your lens and leaving it there?

Filters are great when used in appropriate conditions and appropriate
places AND when they can ENHANCE the photograph.

But go right ahead. Makes no difference to me if you want your beautiful 21
ASPH to always peer through a windshield.

Ever drive down the road and get glare on your windshield from bright
lights or the sun?

Since there isn't a filter in existence that has the very expensive and
rigorously calculated flare suppressing coating that your raw lens has.
What do you suppose happens when you point your camera toward bright
lights, high contrast, or the sun skips past the shade and catches part of
the always present "filter" ???

FLARE!

But hey... you do what you want. I really could care less. So why am I
writing this? Well, it's in my genes. Or is it jeans? Who knows. The words
just come out without me doing anything.

Anyway... happy UV filtering. May you keep your back to the sun.

Jim

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?)