Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 Framing Questions
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:48:40 +0200

Hi Shel,

I have an M3 with the DOF notches too, but find them utterly useless. I
rely on the DOF indications on the lens instead. In theory, one of the
notches (the wider one) shows you the DOF at f16 and the narrower one at
f5.6.

As for using a 35mm lens, the entire viewfinder would approximate the
35mm coverage if you have really flexible eyeballs ;-) The best way would
be to use an external finder, and you have many choices. For sheer
portability you can buy a VIOOH finder which covers all the focal lenghts
from 35mm to 135mm. But it is small and squinty to look through. Then
there are Leica brightline finders for 35mm lenses. All of these can be
obtained only on the second-hand market.

Finally, you have the Voigtlander (Cosina) finders that go with their new
lenses. I have not used the ones for 35mm or 75mm, but the one that came
with my 15mm Heliar is excellent.

Nathan

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just getting started using a recently obtained M3 and have a few
> questions about its operation.
>
> The camera is a later version and has the DOF notches in the frame
> lines, but I'm unclear on how they work to indicate DOF.  Can anyone
> explain this?
>
> Also, if I wanted to use a 35mm lens, would the full view through the
> finder, beyond the 50mm frameline borders, be about right for
> framing?  Where might I frame if a 75mm were to be used?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --
> Shel Belinkoff
> mailto:belinkoff@earthlink.net