Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: UV filter and 21mm ASPH lens - do they fit together?
From: John Hicks <jbh@magicnet.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:03:35 -0400

  Over the years I've bashed a few filters and mashed a few metal shades
but have never damaged a lens. Sometimes getting the shot is more imporant
than protecting the equipment, so filters and shades can help.
  Once I got rained on by something that came out of the stack of a ship; a
drop landed on a filter and made a permanent blotch. Other drops quickly
_ate holes_ in my old Domke bag. Whatever it was, I'm glad it didn't land
on me!
  I'm always amazed at those who insist a skylight filter or whatever will
seriously degrade image quality and then have no qualms about using a
colored filter.
  Only once have I come across serious image quality degradation caused by
a supposedly decent-quality filter; a Hoya filter badly smeared the corners
of negs shot with a Pentax 45 lens on the 67. I replaced it with a Heliopan
filter, and could see no difference in negs shot with the Heliopan filter
or no filter.

John Hicks

jbh@magicnet.net