Subject: [Leica] re: morbid portraits, PVC miniskirts and umbrellas
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:14:08 -0400 (EDT)

hugh thompson sez:

>Kyle - your Morbid Portraits are great - had a good laugh - what was the
>guy with the ears and red nose doing?  Also really appreciated
>Genevieve's attributes!  You move in such refreshingly interesting
>circles!  On technical aspect, how did you avoid shadow behind the
>subjects when using only one light source?  - Hugh Thompson

glad you liked them. the guy with the foam rubber nose was weird. he was
wearing a shirt from a local mental hospital. i didn't know if it was a
joke or not. he said to me, early in the evening, "i'm completly nuts. i'm
totally nuts." then later in the evening (well, it was actually about 4
the next morning) he said "i really want to be your assistant. i mean,
i'll wash trays, i'll mix chemicals, i'll sort negatives, call me. i mean
it man, call me." i do have his number.

as for refreshingly interesting circles, i don't move in such great ones,
everybody else just moves in such terribly dull ones.

& as for shadows -- there actually ARE some awful shadows in some of
them (like the first series with coral, lots of shadow in the alcove). i'm
going to get a tiny little slave-light and put it in the stairwell next
time to fix that. i had one umbrella about 15 feet away from the subjects
on a 30' angle. the lighting wasn't so much chosen by me as dictated by
the size of the room and the position of the passed out drunken hippies
from down the street. the goth chyx were all on massive amounts of MDMA
and i'm sure are _still_ awake. the hippies faded fast.

by about 3:00 a.m. everybody was really friendly and everybody wanted
their picture taken. it was a great experience.

kc

Replies: Reply from "GC Capital & Finance SA" <swissfin@worldcom.ch> ([Leica] New Leica M gear.)