Subject: Re: [Leica] leica for my mid-life crisis
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:08:08 +0200

Hi David and welcome,

>  I like to leave my shutter speed in
> 'ready for anything' position and I've got a probably unfounded fear of
> wearing the shutter speed dial out from turning it so much more than I
> would normally.

This is one of those little annoyances about Leica. Let's face it, it is a
quirky camera, but oh so wonderful. The way I and many others handle this
problem is to always have the shutter uncocked when putting the camera in the
bag. If you happen to cock it and need to put it down, follow Jim Brick's
advice: take a picture before putting the Leica in the bag. Any picture you
take is likely to be better than a picture of the inside of your bag.

> I'd like to learn a bit more about the lenses I have before draining my
> bank account further, but I think that my next leica acquisition will be
> the 50 summicron. This is a dumb newbie question, but is it wrong to buy
> a chrome lense for a black camera? I was thinking it might be an
> advantage when fumbling in the bag for lenses.

There is nothing wrong about it. Some people think a chrome lens on a black
body looks ugly (the reverse is not true). Personally, I have a chrome and a
black M6; most of my lenses are black but a couple are chrome. I pay
absolutely no attention to the color coordination of body and lens. It is the
pictures that count.

Having said that, I see little reason to seek out chrome lenses. Black ones
are lighter and sometimes cheaper.

>  (shooting more photos than ever before!)

That's what it's all about. Enjoy!

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman