Subject: Re: [Leica] 'Tis the season
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:50:07 -0700 (PDT)

chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson) wrote:

> ....for monster solar flares that cause auroral displays much further
> north and south of the polar regions than is typical. The one that
> popped earlier today (see below) was an X-6 class flare, real wrath
o'
> God stuff.  Bollixed my shortwave reception like I'd switched off the
> radio. Might put on quite a show late Saturday night.

I'd suggest creating a beanie cap with aluminum foil to protect you
from the mind rays associated with such solar storms.  I do the same
for my M6, as well.  If you remove your UV filter, you can wrap the
camera in the foil, and then secure it in place by screwing the UV
back on.  If you're using a built-in meter, you don't have to make any
exposure compensation.  Otherwise, use a filter factor of around 500,
and keep reciprocity failure in mind.

P.S.  If your foil hat is too large, you might consider cutting eye
holes.  Last time I had to protect myself this way, I broke a toe.

P.P.S.  You can tell that your protective hat is working by the
reactions of those around you.  They will probably start to act really
weird as the mind rays affect them, but not you.  Signs may include
their laughing, pointing, and calling insane asylums.  Don't trust
anybody not wearing a foil hat.